Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Producer/Remixer/Artist Perceptions
DJRonSlomowicz

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 14:06
Producer/Remixer/Artist Perceptions

As a dj/music lover, does the choice of collaborations affect your perception of a remixer / producer / artist?

Back in the day, it seemed that if a remixer was chosen by Madonna - they had joined the elite clique of remixers. That kind of exclusivity doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Does a remix by a superstar like Tiesto or Armin van Buuren or Paul van Dyk make you more likely to check out or listen to a remix?

On the other hand when a remixer/producer you like works with a really crappy artist or does a really bad song - do you lose respect for them?

When an underground/cutting edge remixer/producer does a remix for a mainstream/commercial artist do they lose credibility in your eyes?

(Note: This is meant as a serious discussion of your ideas and viewpoints not an invitation for a flame war.)

http://www.djron.com
dancemusic.about.com
DeeperBoy

Mood: Swings

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 19:04

Hmmm.... Interesting topic. Let's go one by one.

1. I don't know if it's true about superstar DJ's, but if it's a remixer I like I obviously check it out. Another thing I'm surely to check is if the collabration sounds interesting enough (The Editors and Tom Middleton, HIM and Morgan Page, Missy Elliott and Hani....).

2. Nope. BUT if they do it more than several times and the results are bad I'll prolly lose interest.

3. Nope. It's actually more interesting, to see if they go more mainstream or keep the underground vibe with that track in mind... Besides I'm always happy to ehar a familiar loop. Sometimes remixers change a song so much it comes out completly different :)

Just music.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
uncledub

[*] posted on 1/10/2011 at 03:22

1, sorta, in the state i am as a former trancecracker who isn't really a fan of armin, tijs or paul anymore. but yes, if names i rate high like tom middleton or francois k or carl craig or people like that would make a remix, i would be more likely to check the remix out or said original track

2, depends, if the track is good, i'm not bothered.

3, no, i think it's better since that's a breath of fresh air, i would rather see, for instance carl craig remixing madonna or britney, rather than hex hector, because he's done that, plenty of times.

like for britney. i remember when it was known that james holden had been commissioned to do remix but i can tell you, noone in the trance/prog house community said a bad thing about holden because he did his own thing with them.
Sandeep

[*] posted on 1/10/2011 at 04:10

The problem with those sorts of combinations, is that it's pretty much lose-lose all the time. DJ's who play the pop artist normally won't play the underground/cool mix, and vice versa. So it's just a waste of time and money.

hexfan

[*] posted on 1/10/2011 at 06:40

Interesting topic Ron, thanx !

1. Personnaly, I actually don't follow any artist in particular and i only check tracks that are remixed by the remixers i like.

2. It usually bugs me to see these remixers' name attached to something cheesy or to an artist i really dislike but on the other hand, i always check the mixes because i know from experience that some real hot mixes (especially DUBS) were churned out of crappy songs or singers (Hex Hector was quite good at it).
But like DEEPERBOY said, if the result is too often bad and lacking inspiration, it will make me sort of loose respect for them.

3. Music knows no frontier to me so no one should be ashamed to cross genres.
mdakis2010

[*] posted on 1/10/2011 at 15:36

Not sure i guess it depends on the colaboration and the quality of the remixer/producer.

For example If David Morales or Frankie Knuckles were to touch todays commercial artist then I would have to lift a brow and say hmmmm. then make the decision if they would lose any credibility.
DJCubanito

Mood: Amazed!

[*] posted on 1/11/2011 at 00:31
Great Post Ron!

Personally, I listen to everything and everyone's work. I've been surprised by many remixes and originals that were quite good, and I would have not listen to them if I used my discriminate judgment based on just a name from either an artist or a remixer.

I feel that if I only followed certain remixer's work I would be missing a very wide spectrum of music I could be offering to my audience.

I've also heard fabulous remixes of really bad songs, which were magically turned into really interesting and cool dance tracks. That's what remixes are all about. The creativity that is put into a remix sometimes blows me away.

I think everyone should be given the benefit of doubt every once in a while. However, if a remixer continuously produces bad remixes, then it's time to reconsider.

I'm very much into the Dutch sound now, as well as, Barcelona's Latin electro tribal tracks, but never the less, I continue to listen and play top forty and classics house and dance tracks to fit my programming needs.

I actually welcome remixes by underground remixer that venture into the pop world. I think it's fascinating.

Quotations "Only sick music makes money today" - Friedrich Nietzsche
DJCubanito

[*] posted on 1/11/2011 at 00:36
David & Frankie

Quote:

David Morales or Frankie Knuckles were to touch todays commercial artist then I would have to lift a brow and say hmmmm. then make the decision if they would lose any credibility.

Morales & Knuckles have actually done tons of remixes for "pop" artist in the past. Look up their discography.

uncledub

[*] posted on 1/12/2011 at 11:13

Quote: Originally posted by DJCubanito  

Quote:

David Morales or Frankie Knuckles were to touch todays commercial artist then I would have to lift a brow and say hmmmm. then make the decision if they would lose any credibility.

Morales & Knuckles have actually done tons of remixes for "pop" artist in the past. Look up their discography.

exactly. infact as def mix, morales;knuckles&tommie (and kupper and their helpers on various synth/piano related things) built up a reputation with so, so, so many quality remixes to their name.
mdakis2010

[*] posted on 1/13/2011 at 15:07

Quote: Originally posted by uncledub  
Quote: Originally posted by DJCubanito  

Quote:

exactly. infact as def mix, morales;knuckles&tommie (and kupper and their helpers on various synth/piano related things) built up a reputation with so, so, so many quality remixes to their name.

which is exactly my point!!
uncledub

[*] posted on 1/13/2011 at 18:06

uhhm, no, they built a reputation on remixing 'dance' artists and 'pop' artists. and mainly pop artists, i mean you have the many remixes of mariah carey that morales have done and frankie knuckles have done remixes of jacko and all of them have remixed like 800 others etc
DJCubanito

[*] posted on 1/13/2011 at 23:10
Miss it.

Quote:

which is exactly my point!!

Sorry, I didn't get that from your comment.

RileyYork

Mood: In Stereo

[*] posted on 1/13/2011 at 23:48

As a dj/music lover, does the choice of collaborations affect your perception of a remixer / producer / artist?
Not really. I remember when Junior Vasquez worked with John Mellencamb and it actually made more open to checking out JM's album (I didn't buy it) Today there are a lot more artists that I really dislike. I wouldn't really care to see David Guetta asking Miley to do the vocal for his track.

Back in the day, it seemed that if a remixer was chosen by Madonna - they had joined the elite clique of remixers. That kind of exclusivity doesn't seem to be there anymore.
Does a remix by a superstar like Tiesto or Armin van Buuren or Paul van Dyk make you more likely to check out or listen to a remix?
Yes I'm a fan of Remixers. I will check out any remix of any artist, including the ones I dislike, that is done by my favorite remixers. If it happens to be an artist I dislike I will most likely be looking for a dub. This also applys to songs that may not be very good. Remixers can save many songs (remember It's Not Right) and they can also bring out unknown artists. I discovered Mika because of the Moran Mix of Relax about a year before Grace Kelly hit.
Seeing a remix by somebody known of an unknown will 4 sure make me check it out.

On the other hand when a remixer/producer you like works with a really crappy artist or does a really bad song - do you lose respect for them?
No, I understand that some remixers are paid to remix certain artist and everybody is allowed to make mistakes. I lose respect for a dj/producer after a string of bad mixes (rauhofer for example) Thunderpuss did a pretty crappy mix for My love IS Your Love, no respect lost.

When an underground/cutting edge remixer/producer does a remix for a mainstream/commercial artist do they lose credibility in your eyes?
Not at all, good musical talent should be used equally in underground and mainstream.

Glimmering under neon lights
I can see the look, that's in your eyes
Like a shooting star in a galaxy
Making its way to the heart of me....
uncledub

[*] posted on 1/14/2011 at 05:15

Quote: Originally posted by WestEnd  
Quote: Originally posted by uncledub  
uhhm, no,

Umm, no to what exactly?

he first said if morales or knuckles remixed any of todays commercial artists they may or may not loose credibility, cubanito (and me) pointed out that they was remixing pop artists from the get go (as def mix, if we are going to be technical) and built a reputation on making good remixes.
so it wouldn't be a thing to lift a brow on if they decided to have a crack at a new commercial pop artist.

then he said "exactly, that's my point", which made me go huh? what are you agreeing on.

mdakis2010

[*] posted on 1/14/2011 at 13:17

guys let me rephrase my response. Sorry for the confusion

what I meant to say since defmix has had such a long history of remixing commercial artists, if they were to remix an current artist I wouldnt automatically assume it would be good. I would "lift a brow" for curiosities sake and listen to the remix. THEN i would either dismiss it or not.

hope this clarifies my response. I think we are all on the same page and agree.

Go To Top