DJ RICO MIXSHOW
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bruno Mars "When I Was Your Man" remix recommendations?
DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

Mood: content

[*] posted on 4/21/2013 at 12:17
Bruno Mars "When I Was Your Man" remix recommendations?

This is my favorite song Bruno Mars has ever done - so beautifully written, and produced just perfectly. I may be a sucker for a good ballad, but this is one of the best. Forget all the studio gimmicks, expensive technology, and million dollar production budgets - all you really need is a good SONG and everything else follows. A man alone with his thoughts, and a piano. Just perfect.

Anyway, I'd love to find a good remix, official or bootleg, to play at my DJ gig next weekend, does anyone have any ideas? As long as it's around 120-140 tempo and has full vocals, that's all I really care about. I've checked Amazon, iTunes, and Beatport - and nothing. The only thing even coming close was a ghastly cover version by some UK dubstep group that could easily pass for a comedy track. I'm sure I could go on SoundCloud and try to find the 1 decent remix from the 100 bad ones, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with a couple recommendations? Please no one bring up Cosmic Dawn's remix.
DeeperBoy

Mood: Swings

[*] posted on 4/21/2013 at 13:31

Why?

Just music.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DJDigiMark

Mood: Groovy Baby!

[*] posted on 4/22/2013 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by DJMichaelAngelo  

This is my favorite song Bruno Mars has ever done - so beautifully written, and produced just perfectly. I may be a sucker for a good ballad, but this is one of the best. Forget all the studio gimmicks, expensive technology, and million dollar production budgets - all you really need is a good SONG and everything else follows. A man alone with his thoughts, and a piano. Just perfect.

Anyway, I'd love to find a good remix, official or bootleg, to play at my DJ gig next weekend, does anyone have any ideas? As long as it's around 120-140 tempo and has full vocals, that's all I really care about. I've checked Amazon, iTunes, and Beatport - and nothing. The only thing even coming close was a ghastly cover version by some UK dubstep group that could easily pass for a comedy track. I'm sure I could go on SoundCloud and try to find the 1 decent remix from the 100 bad ones, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with a couple recommendations? Please no one bring up Cosmic Dawn's remix.

I have been playing the Cosmic Dawn mix.

Check out my club & Remix videos: http://www.facebook.com/DJDigiMark

My weekly radio MixMashShow (EST):
Power100FM, Fri 10-midnight / DanceMixUSA.com, Sat 8-9pm / Nexus Radio, Sun midnight-1am / 104.5 WSNX, Sun 9-10pm
DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 4/22/2013 at 09:33

must. bite. my. tongue.... :mad3:

DJDigiMark

Mood: Groovy Baby!

[*] posted on 4/22/2013 at 09:58

must. bite. my. tongue.... :mad3:

You bite your tongue?? I bet you won't make it past the 3rd verse :P

Check out my club & Remix videos: http://www.facebook.com/DJDigiMark

My weekly radio MixMashShow (EST):
Power100FM, Fri 10-midnight / DanceMixUSA.com, Sat 8-9pm / Nexus Radio, Sun midnight-1am / 104.5 WSNX, Sun 9-10pm
djtrini

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/22/2013 at 17:26

it is a great song, have been playing cosmic dawn mix as well
Taj
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 4/22/2013 at 18:25

I'm confused as why you don't anyone to bring up the Cosmic Dawn remix? Do you have an issue with it or is it simply because you already know about it??

Check out my music blog: http://mosuniverse.com/blogs/taj Updated everyday with all of the latest and greatest... And some not-so-greatest too!

DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

icon_wut.gif posted on 4/22/2013 at 18:44

Quote: Originally posted by Taj  
I'm confused as why you don't anyone to bring up the Cosmic Dawn remix? Do you have an issue with it or is it simply because you already know about it??

Ah hell, I was trying to stick to the old adage of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" but dammit, I just can't hold my tongue any longer! I hate, hate, HATE!!!!! the Cosmic Dawn mix with every fiber of my being. He's done some good stuff in the past, but this is the biggest piece of pretentious self-indulgent garbage I've ever heard. The fact that he eliminated the last half of the song's vocals is sloppy at best, and egotistical at worst. Instead of hearing, oh I don't know, the BRIDGE AND FINAL CHORUS of the freaking song, we get to "enjoy" minute after minute of his blippity-bloppity electro/chainsaw/mess type production instead. Kids this is what happens when a remixer's ego takes over the project and they forget what the goal of a dance mix actually is. When a remixer neglects the actual SONG itself (i.e. vocals!!) in favor of amusing himself with his own pompous reductive beats, he's lost all connection with what he's even doing. For this reason alone the Cosmic Dawn Mix was just a big giant FAIL imho, sorry.
Taj
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 4/22/2013 at 19:08

Wow... That's all kind of harsh! Don't you think that calling him "egotistical" "pretentious" "self-indulgent" is more of attack of his character than it is a negative critique of his remix that you don't like? The ending of the song there's a gradual tempo change as the song slows down... Who knows, maybe he chose not to use all of the vocals because the tempo change was hard to work with... Anyway, I think his mix is great and I'm use to hearing different interpretations of songs when they're remixed when the producer leaves out certain parts of songs. It's very very common! My favorite remix of Kelly Clarkson's "People Like Us" at the moment leaves out the bridge but that doesn't bother me because the rest of the production is so stellar! But then again I really like electro/chainsaw type mixes.

Check out my music blog: http://mosuniverse.com/blogs/taj Updated everyday with all of the latest and greatest... And some not-so-greatest too!

DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 4/22/2013 at 19:27

It's very very common!

name me one dance remix of a mainstream song that eliminates half the song's vocals (and no, I'm not talking about a dub)

Wow... That's all kind of harsh! Don't you think that calling him "egotistical" "pretentious" "self-indulgent" is more of attack of his character than it is a negative critique of his remix that you don't like?

just to clarify, I was talking about his remix and its motivations, not him as a person - I don't know the guy, never even talked to him....
Klimis Ioannidis

[*] posted on 4/23/2013 at 03:16

name me one dance remix of a mainstream song that eliminates half the song's vocals (and no, I'm not talking about a dub)

Madonna - What It Feels Like For A Girl (Above & Beyond Club Mix)
Beyonce - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) (Dave Aude Club Mix)

I can think dozens, but I do agree with you actualy because I get what you actualy want to say and possibly your anger doesn't let you to. It's that terrible habit of artists/remixers turning everything to a dance production that is soul-less, removing important lyrics is one of those things that will eventualy kill the feeling of the actual track.
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 3/24/2018 at 20:14
2018 Redux

(Division 4 Mix):

https://soundcloud.com/division_4/bruno-mars-when-i-was-your-man-div...

Go To Top