Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unbreak My Heart - Slow To Fast Version
Robert

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/28/2014 at 18:06
Unbreak My Heart - Slow To Fast Version

Need help from the collectors. I put a slow to fast version of the Soul Hex remix out in late 1996 - It started with the original and segued into the remix - probably was only on a promo cd. Any one have a copy of it? I need it asap. Can't find it on the web - not youtube, no nothing. Any help is appreciated. Hosh
Twiloboy

[*] posted on 4/28/2014 at 18:13

http://www.discogs.com/Toni-Braxton-I-Dont-Want-To-I-Love-Me-Some-H...

Un-Break My Heart (Billboard Award Show Version) (4:12)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRUTl1aAxSY
Robert

[*] posted on 4/28/2014 at 18:29

Thanks TB - very helpful, now I need to find someone that can send me the wave file who has the Maxi CD.
Robert

[*] posted on 4/28/2014 at 18:34

If you have the CD - could you kindly rip that mix and email me a link - hosh@hoshg.com - would be greatly appreciated.
Robert

[*] posted on 4/28/2014 at 20:23

Thank you Bert & Billboard Bruce for sending - Much appreciated!
DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

Mood: content

[*] posted on 4/30/2014 at 10:30

I think that version from the US cd5 of "I Don't Want To" was the same as the one on promo CD here too: http://www.discogs.com/Toni-Braxton-Un-Break-My-Heart/release/16244... - which I have in my collection, being a die-hard Toni Braxton remix collector that I am *lol* I gotta post this great interview from many years ago, where Soul Solution talks remixing "Un-break My Heart" ....hope it doesn't ruffle any feathers! haha

DMA: Well, the remix that really got you guys noticed, Toni Braxton's "Un-Break My Heart," it was called the "Soul-Hex Mix" and if you listen to some of Hex's productions immediately following that project, they carry a lot of similarities to that remix. How much did you each bring to the table?

Lake: You want us to be honest with you? We got the call from Arista to do the Braxton mix and Hex answered the phone. We were working with him on some stuff and that's why he was over. Hosh [A+R man for Arista] heard Hex on the phone and told him that he wanted us to do the mix. I'm not sure if Hosh wanted us to the mix with him or not but the next thing you know, we're doing it with him. We do the mix. We all chipped in, we all did our parts and then brought it to Hosh.

Guy: Let's make it clear what each of us did -- Ernie and I are musicians -- I'm a keyboardist and Ernie's a drummer. We come from the old school where you had to know music; we're trained players. When we got together with Hector basically he would play records for us that he liked and say 'I wanna go for this type of thing' and of course him being a DJ, that became very helpful as far as what the clubs liked. He didn't play a note of music. He'd say 'sample this drum or sample this keyboard' and basically we'd do the programming to make it all work. When it came to the actual choosing the parts, chords and instrumentation, that was still Ernie and I. What happened was that we did this mix over a weekend and handed it in on Monday. It was rejected by Arista. They said they didn't like it, it was too dark, too hard, it wasn't gonna work. Hosh told us to do a recall on it and we in turn called Hex and told him the news. He wasn't having it, he had some other project to work on. For four more days, Ernie and I went back into the studio and made this thing what it is today.

Guy: Hex sort of rubbed us the wrong way, because Arista asked us to do the next Braxton record and even though we weren't really working with Hex anymore we called him to do the record with us and he was like "no, I'm not doing it with you guys. I'll do a mix by myself if at all."

DMA: Do you feel that he had some ill will towards the both of you because of perhaps how the first Braxton mix went down? Perhaps he felt slighted about you guys going back and re-do the Braxton mix when he felt it was right? Perhaps there was some mis-communication?

Guy: Not at all. We ended up doing a number of records with Hex and someway or another he would do something that wasn't right, wasn't fair. He did a record with Strictly, had us program it, we agreed to do it together and he told us that he didn't have a deal with [Strictly]. Then our attorney called us up and faxed us over a copy of a contract that Hex had signed, a production agreement with Strictly -- we let that one slide. Then there was a situation with a credit on another mix that he put 'remixed by Hex Hector,' when Ernie and I did the programming on it and we were supposed to have done as a team. There was a series of situations like this. Ernie and I shoot straight from the hip, we don't fu*k around and we don't bullshit anybody -- you know exactly how we're feeling at all times. We don't want to associate ourselves with anybody who's not that way. We confronted him about our concerns and he was basically like 'fu*k you,' so we decided not to work with him. After that we got Whitney Houston and Tina Turner and all these diva records that we would have done with him and we loved his input but we can't work like that. Maybe he felt slighted or overshadowed by us and didn't want the competition. We wish him all the best and everything but he didn't handle the situation right.

DMA: That [Braxton] mix took a while to jump from clubs to radio. It was #1 on the dance chart for like four weeks or so and then it wasn't until next year that the radio played it. What do you think they were waiting for?

Guy: I think the turning point on that record came in December of that same year (we did it in September). We got a call from LA Reid and Toni Braxton telling us that she was going to be doing part of our mix at the Billboard awards. Toni called us up and told us over the phone how she wanted it edited and we basically took the ballad and edited in the dance track at the end. They were like 'how much do we owe you for this?' and we were like 'get us two plane tickets out to L.A.,' because we wanted to see the show; which they did. Arista didn't know anything about any of this. The day of the show our beepers are going off and the phones are ringing -- Arista's having a fu*kin' canary that she's doing this and they were afraid that it was going to destroy her career and that we're never gonna work again because we were involved. Next thing you know she rips off her dress and does it, the media goes berzerk, the phones don't stop ringing at Arista for three days with people trying to get a copy of that edit.

Lake: Then the phone call came in from Arista -- 'you guys are geniuses...' it was just so funny... so typical of big business.

source = http://dancemusic.about.com/cs/interviews/a/IntSoulSolDave_2.htm

It's impossible to overstate how pivotal and ground-breaking this performance was. This was absolutely a defining moment in dance/pop remix history, and I remember it very well (I had been collecting for a few years already, at this point). Terrible video quality on the link, but just WOW - no wonder this live re-edit got so much buzz and publicity back in 1996. How I would've LOVED to have been there in the audience when she suddenly launched into the dance remix, from the ballad, surprising everyone. Simply amazing!

"I’m not the kind of person that lives for fame and glory. If I’ve got a nice clean home and can put a meal on my table and can entertain my friends, I’m fine. I don’t need to see my face plastered everywhere."

Frankie Knuckles (1955-2014)
DJW

[*] posted on 4/30/2014 at 16:37

That Billboard performance is the crown jewel of her career.....

Eddie

[*] posted on 4/30/2014 at 22:12

Quote: Originally posted by DJMichaelAngelo  

They said they didn't like it, it was too dark, too hard, it wasn't gonna work. Hosh told us to do a recall on it and we in turn called Hex and told him the news. He wasn't having it, he had some other project to work on. For four more days, Ernie and I went back into the studio and made this thing what it is today.

I heard the original dark mix several years back. It is similar structurally to the released mix for the most part but it differs in a number of places, particularly during the intro, the breakdown, and the final chorus and subsequent vocals. Bits of that original intro are heard as the intro on Toni's mixed compilation Un-Break My Heart: The Remix Collection.

It was interesting to hear how the mix changed and evolved into the final released version.

Find your freedom in the music
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 5/1/2014 at 10:05
Toni's "Stranger In My House" a major hit ala' "Unbreak My Heart"??

Speaking of Toni, "Unbreak My Heart" and interview tidbits, I had no idea that Shep Crawford (who responsible for some
of Deborah Cox's classics) wrote Tamia's "Stranger In My House" specifically for Toni Braxton which he mentioned in the following vintage interview below:

"Another song that you mentioned earlier was Tamia's
“Stranger in My House”. How did that song come together?"

Shep: "I wrote it with a young lady named Shae Jones. Initially I wrote it with Toni Braxton in mind. Truthfully I don’t know if Toni heard it, but I sent it to someone at the label there and I never got a call back as far as if she liked it or not. So it was kind of around when I first met Tamia, and she really wasn’t too aware with my work, so I started playing songs. She came up and said that she wanted that one. How I ended up writing a song called “Stranger in my House”, I was in the studio and I had writer’s block. I was trying to come up with a song for Toni and I couldn’t write anything. So I was like “I’m going to shut it down for now. Let me go see a movie,” and I saw “Sixth Sense”. That movie had such a twist at the end so I came back to the studio and was like “I’m going to write a song that has a twist”. So that’s when the bridge says “Could it be that the stranger is me, have I changed so drastically? And you remained the same.” So that’s how the song came about. When Tamia heard it, she loved it. She called Sylvia Rhone had her hear it over the phone. At the time, it wasn’t just really easy using mp3s and then they heard it on the phone, then I went to New York to work with Boyz II Men and I left for a second to meet with Sylvia who heard the song again and wanted it for Tamia. Tamia came on there and she really did it. The demo is nice, but with the range that Tamia has and her beautiful voice and the video. At first, I didn’t care for the video concept. When I was came to the video shoot, she was sitting in the pool and I was like “What are you doing in the pool? Where is the stranger?” but it worked out. I got a chance to see Tamia be as beautiful as she is and then from there on it lifted her career and definitely helped mine as well and we kept that chemistry going with songs like “Me”.

The full interview:

http://welovetoni.com/forum/topics/toni-originally-supposed-to-reco...

Jake

Mood: DJ MusikDawg

[*] posted on 5/2/2014 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by PhillipAnthonyJr  
Speaking of Toni, "Unbreak My Heart" and interview tidbits, I had no idea that Shep Crawford (who responsible for some
of Deborah Cox's classics) wrote Tamia's "Stranger In My House" specifically for Toni Braxton which he mentioned in the following vintage interview below:

"Another song that you mentioned earlier was Tamia's
“Stranger in My House”. How did that song come together?"

Shep: "I wrote it with a young lady named Shae Jones. Initially I wrote it with Toni Braxton in mind. Truthfully I don’t know if Toni heard it, but I sent it to someone at the label there and I never got a call back as far as if she liked it or not. So it was kind of around when I first met Tamia, and she really wasn’t too aware with my work, so I started playing songs. She came up and said that she wanted that one. How I ended up writing a song called “Stranger in my House”, I was in the studio and I had writer’s block. I was trying to come up with a song for Toni and I couldn’t write anything. So I was like “I’m going to shut it down for now. Let me go see a movie,” and I saw “Sixth Sense”. That movie had such a twist at the end so I came back to the studio and was like “I’m going to write a song that has a twist”. So that’s when the bridge says “Could it be that the stranger is me, have I changed so drastically? And you remained the same.” So that’s how the song came about. When Tamia heard it, she loved it. She called Sylvia Rhone had her hear it over the phone. At the time, it wasn’t just really easy using mp3s and then they heard it on the phone, then I went to New York to work with Boyz II Men and I left for a second to meet with Sylvia who heard the song again and wanted it for Tamia. Tamia came on there and she really did it. The demo is nice, but with the range that Tamia has and her beautiful voice and the video. At first, I didn’t care for the video concept. When I was came to the video shoot, she was sitting in the pool and I was like “What are you doing in the pool? Where is the stranger?” but it worked out. I got a chance to see Tamia be as beautiful as she is and then from there on it lifted her career and definitely helped mine as well and we kept that chemistry going with songs like “Me”.

The full interview:

http://welovetoni.com/forum/topics/toni-originally-supposed-to-reco...

Very interesting PAJ. Shep is a God. I adore his writing.
Mister

Mood: Houselicious!

[*] posted on 5/15/2014 at 09:29

Wow! Epic! Thank you PAJ for the amazing history and DJMichaelAngelo for the video. Now i know from where came the ideia to do the same slow to fast version o Deborah Cox's Nobody's Supossed to Be Here. :lol:

This Hex-Soul Solution thing remembered me a mix that Igor Zannon did for Junior Vasquez and his credid wasnt there when it should...

Let me tell you something about house music. It's not just a groove, house music is a feeling and when you feel it, you will understand that house music is freedom. If you feel nothing it's not house music!

DJ Mister Official Website: http://mlinopaula.wix.com/djmister

DJ Mister's My Space: http://www.myspace.com/clubhitsmister
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 5/23/2018 at 21:57
"Unbreak My Heart" 2018 (Division 4 Mix)

Speaking of this indelible classic:

(Division 4 Mix):

https://soundcloud.com/division_4/toni-braxton-un-break-my-heart-div...
MC54

[*] posted on 5/29/2018 at 06:56

Speaking of that "Slow to Fast" mix... it was featured on the 2cd re-release of "Secrets" labeled as the Diva Mix.

https://www.funkytowngrooves.com/!-PRE-ORDER-CDs-!/58/Toni-Braxton-S... (2-CD-Deluxe-Edition)/3727
DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

Mood: content

[*] posted on 6/14/2018 at 18:46

Quote: Originally posted by PhillipAnthonyJr  
Speaking of this indelible classic:

(Division 4 Mix):

[url]https://soundcloud.com/division_4/toni-braxton-un-break-my-heart-division-4-radio-edit
[/url]

now THIS is actually hawttttttt! MAJOR KUDOS to them for using the PROPER acapella segment at 2:35 where she sings the phrase "say you lo-o-o-o-ove me again" and the melody line swoops way up high (unlike the yucky way Soul Soultion/Hex Hector made their mix sound, using an alternate vocal take for that power note)

"I’m not the kind of person that lives for fame and glory. If I’ve got a nice clean home and can put a meal on my table and can entertain my friends, I’m fine. I don’t need to see my face plastered everywhere."

Frankie Knuckles (1955-2014)

Go To Top