Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Junior Vasquez Vault
DJNathanAshby

Mood: docile

[*] posted on 10/1/2014 at 14:16
Junior Vasquez Vault

I'm on a never-ending search for a few of Junior Vasquez's private "vault" mixes. One of them is his 2001 remix of Prince "Thieves in the Temple" - not to be confused with the mix released on vinyl way back in 1989(?). I've actually never even heard the mix. As far as I know this was never released and only played at Twilo by Junior.

Another one is his 2000 remix of Cece [/url]ton "Finally" which he played on his radio show Jrs World back in 2004. This mix was engineered by DJ Escape. When I asked him about it he said Junior has the only copy....though I suspect a few others might have it as well.

Does anyone out there have copies of either of these hidden gems? As a collector, I'm dying to add these to my library. Someone help!
DJNathanAshby

[*] posted on 10/2/2014 at 07:19

Another one that I thought of that I would pay to have a high quality version of is Junior's remix of "Cursed" by Vivian Green. I've only have a bad radio rip of it from his old radio show. He mixed a loop of Mariah Carey's Dreamlover acapella during the drum breakdown.

Junior....are you listening....??? Call me in Miami. :P
Hey Music Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/2/2014 at 10:50

I wish Junior would do what Hani has done. I would probably have to file bankruptcy!
Eddie

[*] posted on 10/2/2014 at 11:50

Quote: Originally posted by DJNathanAshby  
Another one that I thought of that I would pay to have a high quality version of is Junior's remix of "Cursed" by Vivian Green. I've only have a bad radio rip of it from his old radio show. He mixed a loop of Mariah Carey's Dreamlover acapella during the drum breakdown.

It was the episode of his XM show where "Gotta Go Gotta Leave (Tired)" was played before it then "My Love Is For Real" right after.

I recall hearing more of the remix in another episode of the XM show done around that time.

Find your freedom in the music
DJNathanAshby

[*] posted on 10/2/2014 at 11:59

Quote: Originally posted by Eddie  

It was the episode of his XM show where "Gotta Go Gotta Leave (Tired)" was played before it then "My Love Is For Real" right after.

I recall hearing more of the remix in another episode of the XM show done around that time.

That's the one. It's a shame this never got released. It's not the most energetic remixes in the world but there's something about it that I love.
Leon

[*] posted on 10/2/2014 at 15:42

Oh my... There are hundreds of unreleased Junior mixes that I would love to find. But I am pretty sure at this point that the chances of finding anything are very slim... I recall some talk about 4 cd release years ago, but that never materialized and probably was just a wishful thinking!

His Madonna mixes... Vivian Green... Even things like his Lady Gaga mixes... If you have lossless versions email me if you know what I mean...

The funny thing is that I am pretty sure there are people that have lots and lots of unreleased lossless material. But it is ever in the vault or just people are over it and moved on...

I been looking for decades for Deborah Cox "Who Do You Love" that was even released on cd and for DMC Secret and Unbreak My Heart... I have memories of those tracks and would love to find them in lossless at some point... I remember Kevin Avience do his thing to Unbreak My Heart at Arena. Would love to find it eventually...

Looking for lossless copies:

Faithless "God Is A DJ" Anthony Acid Mixes
bertrand
Administrator

Mood: Green

[*] posted on 10/3/2014 at 08:11

The contradiction in Junior's camp is that everyone there was very protective of his music, but also really bad at archiving it themselves... the result is now there's all these great tracks and NOBODY knows where the actual masters are anymore. Half the Junior mixes from 2003 and on were mastered from MP3s, as is 95% of the JVM label. Where are the actual original HQ masters? Who knows. I've been trying to chase down the masters for Casey Stratton's "Blood" for years, it's always the same mp3 :(

_________________________________ _______
|Energy Club House Playlists:
(Current)(Archive)|
|Bit Error - Discography|Energy 98 - Move to it! |

|Bit Error on Facebook|____|Follow on HearThis|
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10/3/2014 at 11:28

I remember back in the day "Cursed" was slated to be the
third commercially CD5 with remixes but was cancelled at
the last moment, so I always been curious if there is at least
a Promo Cd5 with additional DJ Escape & Johnny Vicious remixes which eventually did resurface. I was elated when
all of Junior's previous remixes for Vivian's "Emotional Rollercoaster", "Gotta Go, Gotta Leave", "Fanatic" did at least receive a commercial CD5/12" unlike "Cursed" :(
bertrand
Administrator

[*] posted on 10/3/2014 at 11:40

Never seen any CDs at all for "Cursed" nor "Fanatic" - have I missed something?

(Current)(Archive)|

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DJNathanAshby

[*] posted on 10/3/2014 at 16:19

All of Jrs mixes of Emotional Rollercoaster haven't been released. There are 3 completely different mixes that I know of - only one of those got a release.

It's a shame that a lot of these amazing mixes will never see the light of day....
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10/3/2014 at 17:11

Quote: Originally posted by bertrand  
Never seen any CDs at all for "Cursed" nor "Fanatic" - have I missed something?

There were commercial CD5s for "Emotional Rollercoaster",
"Gotta Go, Gotta Leave", and commercial 12" for "Fanatic"
with all formats including Junior Vasquez remixes. "Cursed"
was slated to be the third single with aforementioned remixes but was cancelled with only the DJ Escape & Vicious remixes that actually surfaced and made the rounds, though I never seen a hard format CD promo format for that single,
hence the :( posted above.
Leon

[*] posted on 10/3/2014 at 21:08

PAJ, I will have to say that I think this is a just a bunch of bullshit imho. I do not believe for a second that all those masters for hundreds and hundreds of remixes are lost. There are different engineers involved and some were done by Gomi, some by Joey, some by Guido I guess, etc...

There are masters and dats and files on hard disks. I do not believe for a second that everyone just magically lost or deleted everything.

I do think that JVM releases were all somehow handled and done in mp3s probably due to some bizarre reason. If I had to guess someone had a computer with a small hard disk and just converted everything to a smaller size... I would not be surprised if it as simple and stupid as this. Which is a shame as there was a lot of brilliant music that came from JVM era...

But for the rest of hundreds and hundreds of mixes all the way back from Sound Factory days I am willing to bet there are perfectly fine lossless copies around. Just they are still in the vault or people who have them have no motivation to get them from old dats/cds/drives and give them to few die hard collectors that are left...

For example I been looking for Faithless "God Is A DJ" Anthony Acid mix for years. No luck. Contacted Anthony few years ago... He is a nice guy. He said he might have it somewhere in storage on a dat and haven't seen it in years. If he ever gets it he might send me a copy. I am sure he does not remember it... I am sure he has a clean copy... There is just no motivation for him to look for it and spend his time to give some crazy guy from the internet (me :)) a copy... I understand.

I bet if people like Gomi, Fumi, Joey, Guido, Razor, Escape, Jerome F.... and people who had acetate machines, worked for labels... will start looking there are plenty of things to be discovered. And Junior himself must have clean copies of at least his favorite mixes.

bertrand
Administrator

[*] posted on 10/4/2014 at 11:26

All of Jrs mixes of Emotional Rollercoaster haven't been released. There are 3 completely different mixes that I know of - only one of those got a release.

There's more than that... there's the Carrano version on the CDM, the Joey Mosk "Deep Earth" version on that mixed compilation, two different Jorio versions, and one that sounds like Gomi.

(Current)(Archive)|

PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10/5/2014 at 11:36
Curtis Mayfield "New World Order" (Junior rmxs)??

Speaking of elusive and vaulted Junior remixes, I still can't
find any info regarding this one after all this time:

http://www.djricomixshow.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15802
Leon

[*] posted on 10/5/2014 at 20:25

By the way there are also plenty of Junior's mixes that labels are just not releasing... Let just say Feels Like Singing Sandy B, Love One Another Amber... Nervous must have a clean copy of the Juniors mix for Sandy B. It was on a mixed digital compilation and on 12 inch... They did release Morales mixes, but not Juniors version. Why??

I can think of probably a hundred Juniors mixes that labels do have and still have not been released in digital lossless... Like Cloud Eyes I am Scared- this is the track that I would love to find eventually.

Joel

Mood: Uppity

[*] posted on 10/31/2014 at 15:48

Unfortunately, lots of things have indeed been lost to the sands of time or were not archived properly at the time, thus no high quality version exists anymore or the closest is going to be the commercial release. However, lots of things have survived in various forms and there are SERIOUS librarians of The Junior Vasquez Archives working to obtain or have already obtained the highest quality copies of many items in the catalog, old and new. There are surprising moments of lack of quality in the highest source recording on a few tracks. Many exist only as acetate pressings, which can have varying quality. But, there is and remains volumes of material that people never knew existed, even among some of the biggest fans. Some of it very exciting and will reinvigorate one's Junior obsession. It is always hopeful that these tracks squeak out, but given the circles they travel in, I am guessing I will be constantly hunting down Junior mixes throughout my lifetime.

Connect with me at Soundcloud | Twitter | Facebook
yecin

Mood: O r a n g e :-)

[*] posted on 10/31/2014 at 18:57

Quote: Originally posted by bertrand  
nor "Fanatic" - have I missed something?

http://fr-ca.7digital.com/artist/vivian-green/release/fanatic-junio...

MP3 320kbps, not WAV, but better than nothing.

Or you can buy the vinyl, rip it in 96000 Hz 24Bit WAV, mastered it, then you can have a lossless file. This is what I do when the digital version is not available (and this is why I hate more and more vinyls now, very annoying to extract a track, it needs a lot of work)

Let the music use you up!

http://soundcloud.com/niceysound
Leon

[*] posted on 10/31/2014 at 20:34

Quote: Originally posted by Joel  
Unfortunately, lots of things have indeed been lost to the sands of time or were not archived properly at the time, thus no high quality version exists anymore or the closest is going to be the commercial release. However, lots of things have survived in various forms and there are SERIOUS librarians of The Junior Vasquez Archives working to obtain or have already obtained the highest quality copies of many items in the catalog, old and new. There are surprising moments of lack of quality in the highest source recording on a few tracks. Many exist only as acetate pressings, which can have varying quality. But, there is and remains volumes of material that people never knew existed, even among some of the biggest fans. Some of it very exciting and will reinvigorate one's Junior obsession. It is always hopeful that these tracks squeak out, but given the circles they travel in, I am guessing I will be constantly hunting down Junior mixes throughout my lifetime.

Everyone is sitting on what they got and keeping it quite. If there was some kind of closed list with people willing to open up without leaking it to the rest of the world I think we could of find a lot of interesting things. BUT the problem is that everyone that has something gave a word to someone not to leak it or not give it out...

This whole situation is stupid as only die hard fans really care about this stuff anyone, but at the same time they are keeping it from each other... Labels really don't care for the most part and don't want to release anything as there is no money to be made. A very rare release like upcoming Lisa Stansfield Juniors Mix is just there because they need some bonus material for re-release. Very sad... Labels are sitting on hundreds and hundreds of mixes...

PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 12/6/2014 at 12:17
Vivian Green "Wish We Can Go Back"

Quote: Originally posted by PhillipAnthonyJr  

I remember back in the day "Cursed" was slated to be the
third commercially CD5 with remixes but was cancelled at
the last moment, so I always been curious if there is at least
a Promo Cd5 with additional DJ Escape & Johnny Vicious remixes which eventually did resurface. I was elated when
all of Junior's previous remixes for Vivian's "Emotional Rollercoaster", "Gotta Go, Gotta Leave", "Fanatic" did at least receive a commercial CD5/12" unlike "Cursed" :(

Speaking of 'unreleased' Vivian Green tracks, I had no idea
that Gomi & DJ Escape did a remix for "Wish We Can Go Back", I wonder if Junior also did a remix for this track.
Eddie

[*] posted on 12/6/2014 at 12:31

that Gomi & DJ Escape did a remix for "Wish We Can Go Back", I wonder if Junior also did a remix for this track.

There was a Junior mashup of "Wish We Could Go Back" with the instrumental of his remix of "Keep In Touch (Body To Body)" streamed on the old JVM site in early 2006.

Find your freedom in the music
DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

Mood: content

[*] posted on 12/7/2014 at 03:27

Quote: Originally posted by Leon  
Oh my... There are hundreds of unreleased Junior mixes that I would love to find. But I am pretty sure at this point that the chances of finding anything are very slim...

hundreds? really? :P are you sure you're not exaggerating just a bit perhaps? kisskiss

"Iím not the kind of person that lives for fame and glory. If Iíve got a nice clean home and can put a meal on my table and can entertain my friends, Iím fine. I donít need to see my face plastered everywhere."

Frankie Knuckles (1955-2014)
Leon

[*] posted on 12/7/2014 at 09:25

Quote: Originally posted by DJMichaelAngelo  
Oh my... There are hundreds of unreleased Junior mixes that I would love to find. But I am pretty sure at this point that the chances of finding anything are very slim...

hundreds? really? :P are you sure you're not exaggerating just a bit perhaps? kisskiss

Let me think about it... Lets say:

Madonna - there is a Junior's mix for pretty much every single. With some being done and redone multiple times over the years. Frozen, Ray Of Light, Secret, You'll See and so on. Just that probably 20-40 mixes... Maybe more. New mixes were done for his birthdays and New Years and other big events.

Vivian Green - multiple songs that never got any release... Versions of Emotional Rollercoaster and her other tracks. That's another 5-10 mixes...

Whitney Houston - Junior had done many multiple versions of her songs. Another bunch of mixes.

And then there are all those special mixes that he did. Some are going around in low quality mp3. Most are not available at all... Like Mary J Blige 'Your Child' (Junior's Chocolate Girlfriend Mix)... His Pet Shop Boys mixes like Domino Dancing... He remixed a lot. From Amy Winehouse to Rod Stewart to Elton John to Mariah... Versions of Vernessa Mitchel tracks... Some mixes are going around. Most are not available in any format.

Over his years at Sound Factory, Arena, Twilo and Earth there were hundreds of mixes that were done and that are still not available. His 'private' mixes was his thing. This is what kept his fans coming back. Some were played ones. I don't know if he tested them and did not like them or just created them to play one time... Some were played every week for years.

A good example is the "All Around The World" that just got released. I been looking for it for a long time. I heard Junior play it at Earth and been trying to find ever since. Even on this board it was suggested it was some other remix and most Junior fans never heard of that mix. People did not think he ever remixed that track. It seems that Junior only played it in a club one time. But now all of the sudden 10 years later it got released.

I do believe that there are hundreds of his mixes that are in his private vault... Sadly I heard that even Junior himself does not have a lot of them anymore as they got 'lost' (?) over the years... Things that probably were only pressed to acetates or never transferred from DAT tapes. Junior was very reluctant to use digital technology and preferred vinyl for a long time...

PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 12/7/2014 at 11:51

There was a Junior mashup of "Wish We Could Go Back" with the instrumental of his remix of "Keep In Touch (Body To Body)" streamed on the old JVM site in early 2006.

Thanks for the tidbit! I would figure Junior would have least played around with this track since at the time he practically remixed every Vivian Green track like "Fanatic", "Cursed",
"Emotional Rollercoaster", "Gotta Go, Gotta Leave"etc. It's interesting you mentioned that he incorporated Shades of Love's classic "Keep In Touch (Body To Body)", because coincidently two weeks ago I finally found the vintage CD5 after having the 2x12 for years with the additional Johnny Vicious remixes.
Leon

[*] posted on 12/7/2014 at 20:49

Thanks for the tidbit! I would figure Junior would have least played around with this track since at the time he practically remixed every Vivian Green track like "Fanatic", "Cursed",
"Emotional Rollercoaster", "Gotta Go, Gotta Leave"etc. It's interesting you mentioned that he incorporated Shades of Love's classic "Keep In Touch (Body To Body)", because coincidently two weeks ago I finally found the vintage CD5 after having the 2x12 for years with the additional Johnny Vicious remixes.

PAJ, Funny I just got a cd single with few mixes as well :)

PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 12/8/2014 at 00:04

PAJ, Funny I just got a cd single with few mixes as well :)

Talk about coincidence! Aside from that particular CD single,
I also scored that Cd single along with the CD5 for Sphinx's
"What Hope Have I"- though I still treasure the cool 'emerald green' colored 12". With all the remixes done for "What Hope Have I", I still prefer Junior's Factory remixes from beginning to end. Btw Leon when you mentioned you heard that heard that even Junior himself does not have a lot of his own productions anymore because they became lost' over the years, well unfortunately the same goes for my other favorite remixer Eddie Baez and his remix gems, though being an avid fan I'm really glad I have most of Eddie's early work on 12", CD5s, and Cdrs over the years.

Btw- Speaking of lost Junior remixes, I remember I directly
asked Junior about his elusive remixes for Zsa Zsa Gabor,
which was slated for release on Flip It Records (same label
for Dolly Parton's "Peace Train") but was shelved when the
label closed. Junior mentioned he did not know what happened to the various clubs and dub remixes he done for
that track, though for some reason some of his remixes for
Rickie Lee Jones surface which also was on the same label
as Dolly and Zsa Zsa Gabor. At least the 4th project from this
same label received a commercial CD5 - which was Lonnie
Gordon's "If You Really Love Me" (Junor Vasquez, Julian Marsh, Tony Garcia rmxs)- a redux of a Stevie Wonder track.
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 12/14/2014 at 13:02
Junior's Unreleased Material

This whole situation is stupid as only die hard fans really care about this stuff anyone, but at the same time they are keeping it from each other... Labels really don't care for the most part and don't want to release anything as there is no money to be made.

Speaking of the frustration of "unreleased material", Junior
Vasquez himself shared a similiar sentiment in a vintage
interview for DMA magazine back in the day:

One of Vasquez's dilemma is when he is commissioned to
complete a remix and then it sits 'unreleased'. "It's bitter
and sweet", he admits the yin and yang aparent to him. I
like to have things obviously long, for me to break a record
and to see the responses. When it doesn't come out when
the masses want it, when I've moved on to another version
of it or moved on, I think it should come out, but I don't know. It just seems like it's not fair, because they're not really behind what they believe. But in a way, it's okay, because I'm I only have to play".
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 12/15/2014 at 12:07
Junior Vasquez vs. The Supremes

Another unreleased Junior Vasquez mix which to me would
be considered my 'holy grail' for my collection and wish it would have received some kind of release is:

Supremes "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart" (Motown/Unreleased)
"It's really rewarding but frustrating, because it probably won't see the light of day. And to me it's frustrating, like
how do I get 'Diana Ross' to hear it? To me, I think that
creatively, that's the alternate place where I'm at- The
Supremes. I'm going to go in and do the Four Tops 'Same Old
Song'. My roots are Motown- that's what I grew up listening
to. To be able to take the CD of that, and just put it in the
computer and just put drums on it, technically changes it I think. People now think it's a brand new song or a brand new
artist. They don't even know it, because it's an underdog song. It's not like 'Stop In The Name Of Love' or anything they don't know what it is. It's just frustrating to me that I don't know how to get it out there, unless it gets a lot of
attention and someone calls about it. I know if we were in the U.K. it would get a lot of attention-maybe I should just
farm it over there!"

Being a die hard Diana Ross & The Supremes fan, it's
unfortunate this particular Junior Vasquez production never
received a proper commercial release as Junior mentioned above, especially considering that Motown has released countless Remix projects CD over the years and this would have a made a proper inclusion. The only good remixes that came from those Motown remix projects were only by Tom Moulton and Johnny Vicious, so Junior's mix would have a made great addition. My other favorite remixer Eddie Baez also remixed "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart", though this Supreme redux was done by Lori Jenaire and released on CD5.
Leon

[*] posted on 12/15/2014 at 13:06

After reading PAJ posts I have to go back to the question that DJMichaelAngelo asked... Yes I do think that there are many hundreds of Juniors mixes that are still unreleased in any format. From Diana, Cher, Madonna... All one hit wonders that Junior remixed for his personal play. Mixes that were submited to labels, but never released like PAJ mentioned...

DJNathanAshby

[*] posted on 12/16/2014 at 08:53

After reading PAJ posts I have to go back to the question that DJMichaelAngelo asked... Yes I do think that there are many hundreds of Juniors mixes that are still unreleased in any format. From Diana, Cher, Madonna... All one hit wonders that Junior remixed for his personal play. Mixes that were submited to labels, but never released like PAJ mentioned...

I agree with this statement whole heartedly.
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 4/3/2015 at 10:18

There are masters and dats and files on hard disks. I do not believe for a second that everyone just magically lost or deleted everything.

It's funny you mentioned this, because I was perusing through the vintage interview Junior did regarding what tracks he was going to play on his 62th birthday bash and
said the following about finding "lost" productions found on his hard drive:

"The playlist for this Saturday is very eclectic, Iím going to play a lot of stuff from Twilo, but classics that I havenít played in a while, not the new stuff I play. These are things I found on my old computer hard drive. These are things I have lost for a while. But they sound relevant today, a lot of mash-ups and stuff."

http://www.bbook.com/dj-junior-vasquez-celebrates-62-years-on-earth...

Btw- This is the same interview I referenced earlier this week
regarding Junior's mix for the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy For
The Devil".
DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

Mood: content

[*] posted on 4/12/2015 at 17:44

These are things I have lost for a while. But they sound relevant today, a lot of mash-ups and stuff."

Can't wait! There's nothing I like better than listening to a Jr. Vasquez mashup, that he's done himself with no help from any engineers or programmers :party:

"Iím not the kind of person that lives for fame and glory. If Iíve got a nice clean home and can put a meal on my table and can entertain my friends, Iím fine. I donít need to see my face plastered everywhere."

Frankie Knuckles (1955-2014)
PhillipAnthonyJr
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 3/11/2018 at 21:52
Finally

Another unreleased Junior Vasquez mix which to me would
be considered my 'holy grail' for my collection and wish it would have received some kind of release is:

Supremes "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart" (Motown/Unreleased)
"It's really rewarding but frustrating, because it probably won't see the light of day. And to me it's frustrating, like
how do I get 'Diana Ross' to hear it? To me, I think that
creatively, that's the alternate place where I'm at- The
Supremes. I'm going to go in and do the Four Tops 'Same Old
Song'. My roots are Motown- that's what I grew up listening
to. To be able to take the CD of that, and just put it in the
computer and just put drums on it, technically changes it I think. People now think it's a brand new song or a brand new
artist. They don't even know it, because it's an underdog song. It's not like 'Stop In The Name Of Love' or anything they don't know what it is. It's just frustrating to me that I don't know how to get it out there, unless it gets a lot of
attention and someone calls about it. I know if we were in the U.K. it would get a lot of attention-maybe I should just
farm it over there!"

Being a die hard Diana Ross & The Supremes fan, it's
unfortunate this particular Junior Vasquez production never
received a proper commercial release as Junior mentioned above, especially considering that Motown has released countless Remix projects CD over the years and this would have a made a proper inclusion. The only good remixes that came from those Motown remix projects were only by Tom Moulton and Johnny Vicious, so Junior's mix would have a made great addition. My other favorite remixer Eddie Baez also remixed "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart", though this Supreme redux was done by Lori Jenaire and released on CD5.

After all these years of perusing religiously, so elated that the fab mix has finally surfaced in all it's extended glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sYUChaMvtA

Go To Top