Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Archiving music
djrico
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4/5/2017 at 23:50
Archiving music

Hi all,
I was wondering how do you archive your music in your computer or your external drives or what's the best way to do it? Any tips? experiences with corrupted files?

I organized my music this way:
I have folders 'master wav' 'master flac' 'master mp3' 'remix services' 'my remixes' 'remix services' 'remix tools' etc

I use 'audio tester' to check for any corrupted flac or mp3 after transferring or downloading but won't do wavs. I also use Tag&Rename to get rid of some metadata or fix. Now the folders I have for 'wav' are huge and sometimes takes forever to load. Also 'flac' and 'mp3' files tend to corrupt easy than 'wav' when transferring/downloading. When transferring or downloading is best not do anything else in your computer to avoid any errors. I do back-up music only to 2 portable external drives and I only plug them in when I need to update with new transfers/downloads. Also if you get a corrupted file, it can mess up the entire folder or even your hard drive. So far I have no problems with drives. When I get a new hard drive I reformat right away to either pc or mac.

Thanks!
bertrand
Administrator

Mood: Green

[*] posted on 4/6/2017 at 05:36

I use something called TeraCopy which uses checksums to ensure corruption doesn't occur during transfers. It integrates into windows explorer and replaces the copy/paste dialog.
FLAC/MP3 don't corrupt more easily, it's just the way they are encoded, if there is corruption, often the whole file just can't be read. Same goes with things like winzip, rar, etc - a small amount of corruption makes the whole file inoperable, which is why I never use that on backups. If something happens to the file at least some of it can be read and salvaged.
WAV is just a stream of numbers converted into points in a wave, so there's no way to tell something is corrupt without listening to it and realizing "uh oh that's not supposed to sound like that".
Organization really just depends how and what you collect, there's no right or wrong way. I have one giant folder of digital wav's/masters, and there's 'mp3' 'lossy master' 'vinyl' 'premasters' 'stems & parts' and 'madonna' spread around two other drives.
Everything is backed up by hand, spread across multiple drives. It'll be annoying if I ever have to use them, but hopefully I won't.

_________________________________ _______
|Energy Club House Playlists:
(Current)(Archive)|
|Bit Error - Discography|Energy 98 - Move to it! |

|Bit Error on Facebook|____|Follow on HearThis|
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DJMichaelAngelo
Supreme Member

Mood: content

[*] posted on 4/10/2017 at 19:24

The only "wrong" way to backup is to not do it and/or not do it often enough. I learned that the hard way with a complete irrecoverable head-crash of an external HD last August. I was able to recover 80-90% of almost everything, but a lot of lossless wav files were lost (things I had backed up to other places as 320 kbps mp3).

Prior to this catastrophe, I had been making MULTIPLE backups: to external hard-drives, to blank DVD-R's, and even storing one of the (three!) backups offsite, at a friend's house, in the event that something were to happen here to my house like fire or theft, at least I'd have a backup stored somewhere else. My mistake was not backing up files EVERY DAY which is what I really should've done. Instead I lost about 2-3 months worth of jpg's, doc's, pdf's, xls's, txt's, mp3's, wav's, etc.

Believe me, I was kicking myself for letting it go for so long in between backups :( So I've leanred my lesson, and now use a simple (very small/easy to use) program named Memeo Instant Backup, that came as free software with a Seagate external HD I bought years ago. I always ignore the junk they pre-load onto thumb-drives and USB/extnernal HD's and chalk it up to useless bloatware, but this program is a GODSEND. It actually scans your entire hard drive (the folders you choose) and backs up files in REAL TIME. So in other words, if I buy a dozen mixes from iTunes, or create a MS Word .doc, it will literally copy those files to a SEPARATE folder or drive letter that I choose - immediately! Not once a month or at the end of the night, but right then and there. Highly recommended.

I just wish I had started using Memeo Instant Backup a year ago. I thought I was being so careful! I thought my multiple backup copies were enough. I'd read about people having their computers crash, losing everything, and would secretly shake my head, "tsk tsk"-ing them, thinking gosh that'll never happen to me! Then wouldn't you know, it did!

Oh, and as far as how I organize my music on my computer, stuff I download goes immediately into the "To Be Listened To" folder. Then once I listen to it at least once, away it goes into the "Ready To Be Burned" folder (these folder names & organization method is what I've been using for literally like 12-13 years now). Then every few months or so, I'll take all the 100's of wav's and mp3's in the "Ready To Be Burned" folder, and burn 'em to data DVD-R's. Then I convert the wav's to 320 kbps mp3's for space, and dump EVERYTHING into a giant folder on my one external HD that is just every single file in alphabetical order, with NO sub-folders (I hate the "iTunes" way of organizing files, by artist name, album name, and that bllsht). Then my WinAmp player is what I use to play all files, and organize my "music library" as it were.

"Iím not the kind of person that lives for fame and glory. If Iíve got a nice clean home and can put a meal on my table and can entertain my friends, Iím fine. I donít need to see my face plastered everywhere."

Frankie Knuckles (1955-2014)
bertrand
Administrator

Mood: Green

[*] posted on 4/11/2017 at 05:45

Quote: Originally posted by DJMichaelAngelo  
I hate the "iTunes" way of organizing files, by artist name, album name, and that bllsht).

Who ever thought that was a good idea??

> David Guetta
> David Guetta & Afrojack feat. Niles Mason
> David Guetta & Afrojack feat. Wynter Gordon
> David Guetta & Afrojack
> David Guetta & Avicii
> David Guetta & Chris Willis vs. Tocadisco
> David Guetta & Chris Willis With Steve Angello & Sebastian Ingrosso
> David Guetta & GLOWINTHEDARK feat. Harrison
> David Guetta & GLOWINTHEDARK
> David Guetta & Kaz James
> David Guetta & Laidback Luke feat. Samantha Jade
> David Guetta & Showtek feat. MAGIC! & Sonny Wilson
> David Guetta & Showtek feat. Vassy
> David Guetta & Tocadisco feat. Chris Willis
> David Guetta feat. Akon
> David Guetta feat. Ariana Grande
> David Guetta feat. Barbara Tucker
> David Guetta feat. Chris Brown & Lil Wayne
> David Guetta feat. Chris Willis & Mone
> David Guetta feat. Chris Willis, Fergie & LMFAO
> David Guetta feat. Chris Willis
> David Guetta feat. Cozi
> David Guetta feat. Emeli Sandť
> David Guetta feat. Estelle
> David Guetta feat. Flo Rida & Nicki Minaj
> David Guetta feat. JD Davis
> David Guetta feat. Jennifer Hudson
> David Guetta feat. Jessie J
> David Guetta feat. Kelly Rowland
> David Guetta feat. Kid Cudi
> David Guetta feat. Makeba
> David Guetta feat. Ne-Yo & Akon
> David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj & Afrojack
> David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne
> David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj
> David Guetta feat. Novel
> David Guetta feat. Rihanna
> David Guetta feat. Sam Martin
> David Guetta feat. Sia & Fetty Wap
> David Guetta feat. Sia
> David Guetta feat. Skylar Gray
> David Guetta feat. Taio Cruz & Ludacris
> David Guetta feat. Taped Rai
> David Guetta feat. Tara McDonald
> David Guetta feat. Timbaland & Dev
> David Guetta feat. Usher
> David Guetta feat. will.i.am & Apl De Ap
> David Guetta feat. will.i.am
> David Guetta feat. Zara Larsson & Ariana Grande
> David Guetta feat. Zara Larsson
> David Guetta vs David Bowie
> David Guetta Vs. The Egg feat. Chris Willis
> David Guetta, Cedric Gervais & Chris Willis
> David Guetta, Sebastian Ingrosso, Dirty South feat. Julie McKnight

_________________________________ _______
|Energy Club House Playlists:
(Current)(Archive)|
|Bit Error - Discography|Energy 98 - Move to it! |

|Bit Error on Facebook|____|Follow on HearThis|
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top